Cannabis & Travelling Aboard
One of our Travel Insurance providers TuGo have provided an outline for those who use cannabis and are planning to travel after October 17th, 2018 – the day cannabis will become legal in Canada.
What does this mean for travellers?
- Under the Cannabis Act, the legalization and regulation of cannabis in Canada will not change Canada’s border rules.
- Taking cannabis or any product containing cannabis into, or outside of Canada, remains illegal and can result in serious criminal penalties both in Canada and abroad. This will apply even when travelling to or from places that have legalized or decriminalized cannabis.
Bringing cannabis used for medical purposes across the Canada/US border will also remain illegal.
Emergency Medical Insurance
Travellers may or may not have coverage while travelling within Canada or abroad. This will depend on the following:
- If a claim arises due to the abuse/misuse of cannabis, then the claim would be denied, whether or not it was legal in the country or US State they’re travelling in.
- If the cannabis was recommended by a doctor and was taken for medicinal purposes (and not being abused/misused), then a related claim may be covered, whether or not it’s legal in the location the claim occurred (provided stability requirements are met).
- If cannabis is used for recreational purposes (no mention of medicinal use in any medical records), and not being abused/misused, the claim would be determined by whether or not it’s legal in the location where the emergency happened:
- If legal, then the claim may be covered.
- If illegal, the claim would be denied.
A claim would be denied for a medical cannabis prescription to get filled because it’s currently available over the counter, which we don’t cover.
Trip Cancellation Insurance
A trip cancellation claim would be denied if the traveler tried to cross the border and was denied entry because they’re banned, due to previous cannabis declaration. This is not a covered risk of the policy.
If you have any questions, please contact one of our brokers at All City Insurance we will be happy to answer or find the answer to questions related to this topic.Did you enjoy this post? Please share: